How do our podcast stats compare to other users?
While we can’t share all of our users’ podcast numbers, we can share our company’s podcast’s stats. Jon and I do a show together called “Build your SaaS.” Here are our numbers.
We’re estimating that we have 1,534 folks subscribed to the show.
Update: Here’s the breakdown of devices that folks use to listen to our show:
- 22% of listens are on Overcast
- 21% on Pocket Casts
- 16% on Apple Podcasts
- 12% from the web player
- 8% Android devices
- 5% iTunes desktop
- 4% Apple Watch
- 2% Breaker
- 1% Spotify
Apple Podcasts’ analytics
Apple’s currently tracking about 489 devices.
What percentage of each podcast episode are people listening to?
A few observations:
- Our audience doesn’t care much about the podcast industry 😜 (EP 35 has 56%, EP38 has 59%)
- Tactical shows seem to do better (EP41 Marketing tactics for your SaaS)
- Episodes that are shorter than an hour do better (30 – 45 mins seems to be our sweet spot)
- Folks seem to like the episodes where Jon and I are openly sharing about what we’re doing, why we’re doing it, what we’re struggling with, etc…
Spotify’s podcast analytics
We don’t have many listeners on Spotify, but here’s an overview.
We’ve had a slight increase in listeners:
(The spike is from this experiment)
Our gender stats are definitely tilted towards male listeners. 🤦♂️
Here’s the age distribution (lots of millennials; maybe more of a reflection of Spotify’s userbase?)
Inside of Transistor, we also allow folks to connect their Podtrac account.
Podtrac’s numbers are slightly lower than Transistor’s number (but this difference disappears over time).
|January 2019 Episodes||Transistor||Podtrac||Difference||Difference %|
|How to grow your audience||1800||1529||271||16.3%|
|Should startups worry about their competition?||2143||2022||121||5.8%|
|Marketing tactics for your SaaS: how to get the word out||2297||2284||13||0.6%|
|Our predictions for 2019||2280||2275||5||0.2%|
Here’s what the device breakdown looks like on Podtrac:
And finally, here’s Podtrac’s geographic breakdown of our podcast downloads: